Heartworm Meds? PLEASE Don't Do this
Flea, tick and mosquito season is upon us. We honor these insects' right to exist and feed birds, bats, fish, amphibians. etc., but also want to prevent them from spreading parasites and diseases to our beloved dogs, cats and horses.
It's critical that you become informed about the dangers of topical insecticides/pesticides and research the best options for your own animals. Differences in age, health, and species need to be taken into account when choosing how to best protect your own.
Thankfully, there are safe and natural alternatives that will NOT poison our animals or our environment!
The Bad News
Over my 28 years as an animal communicator and holistic health advocate for animals, I've see many dogs and cats with overwhelmed immune systems. They have allergies, skin issues, oozing sores on their feet, liver and kidney challenges, seizures, and more -- all due to chemical overload.
annual vaccinations that are often unnecessary
toxic flea & tick collars, dips, sprays and topicals
shampoos & scented conditioners
indoor pollution: smoke, mold, "air fresheners"
household cleaners, especially carpet cleaners
additives to foods and pesticide residues
toxins in tap water
outdoor pollution; carbon monoxide, car fuel residue and asphalt on roads and sidewalks
grass fertilizers, poisonous weed killers and insecticides
* Heartworm medications are touted as "essential" by many vets. Do you realize that these meds, whether ingested or used topically, are a potent neurotoxic insecticide that is designed to poison, paralyze and leave the dead larva in your dog's body? This often results in your dog having seizures, an autoimmune response and anemia while her body attacks it's own blood cells. If this happens there's a 50:50 survival rate.
If your dog or cat is exposed to toxic chemicals over time, (most of our animals are exposed to many of these every day), they can be in real danger of immune collapse or a downward spiral to organ breakdown and premature death. Remember that there is a cumulative effect of all of the above and that "sudden" decline, cancer, kidney and adrenal failure, seizures are often the result of too many years of exposure and build up.
Ferrets, rabbits, other small mammals, birds, amphibians, fish and reptiles are susceptible to most of the same chemical challenges. And, if you use topical flea prevention on your dog, including some herbal formulas, these can be toxic to cats and other animals living with your dog.
The Good News: Safe Alternatives to Pesticides!
You can choose, safe, effective alternatives to toxic pesticides on and in your animals. Most of these are plant-based repellents that prevent fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies from landing on and biting or feeding off animals (and people) . Not only are they safer for your pets, human family members and home, they are less harmful to the environment as well. Check out these links below for some of my favorites and choose the best for your animals and your budget:
* Dr. Karen Becker: http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/pest-repellents/
* Earth Animal: https://shop.earthanimal.com/collections/remedies-supplements?_=pf&pf_t_remedies_and_supplements=Nature%E2%80%99s%20Protection%E2%84%A2%20Flea%20%26%20Tick
* Wondercide: http://www.wondercide.com/flea-tick-control/ and for repelling mosquitoes from the yard: https://www.wondercide.com/collections/mosquito-repellent-for-yard
* "Flee Free" by Green Hope Farm: www.greenhopeessences.com/essences/flee-free
Be sure to check if a topical or spray is safe for cats. Many essential oils like eucalyptus, pine oils, tea tree oil, and citrus are NOT safe to use on or around cats. Lemongrass and cedar ARE safe for cats.
In addition to these suggestions, Check out Dr. Will Falconer's Drug-Free Heartworm Protocol. It involves a healthy diet, repellents like those I listed above, and other excellent tips. This protocol has successfully kept hundreds of dogs heartworm-free in states with major mosquito challenges, including Louisiana, Texas and Hawaii.
You CAN keep your beloveds, your house and yard flea, tick and mosquito-free the safe and natural way.
with Love, Your Voice of Animals,