Pumpkin Recipes for Dogs & Cats
Making pies? You can share some of your organic, unsweetened, cooked pumpkin with your critters. It can be baked like a potato, then mashed with a little organic butter or coconut oil for taste and healthy fats. (Organic, unsweetened canned pumpkin is a time-saving option.) Pumpkin is full of good moisture, vitamins, minerals and healthy fiber too. It tastes yummy to most dogs and to many cats as well.
For small dogs and cats, start by adding 1/4 teaspoon to their food, for bigger dogs, offer more. Increase to the optimum level for your companion. They'll let you know what that is. Pumpkin is an easy, inexpensive way to help keep their digestive and elimination systems healthy and parasite-free.
And here's a lovely treat recipe c/o Diane Dubbs that provides protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and great taste! I love that it's wheat and gluten free, using oats which provide lots of good nutrients and don't gum up your dog's digestive and elimination systems. I invite you to use organic ingredients and pasture raised eggs. They are the best for the environment, the chickens and your dogs!
Pumpkin, Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Treats for Dogs
1 c organic pumpkin puree or canned
2 organic pasture raised eggs
3 c organic whole oats
1/2 c organic peanut butter
1 t baking powder
1 t organic Ceylon cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Pulse oats in a food processor or blender until a coarse texture is reached, but not a fine flour.
3) Beat the eggs.
4) Combine all ingredients in a big bowl and mix on medium with a mixer until well blended. (You might need to add a little water to help dough be workable)
5) Roll out on a cutting board and cut into cookies using a small glass or fun shaped cookie cutter.
6) Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.
7) Completely cool on a rack.
8) Serve to your pups who have been hanging around eagerly waiting for them to be ready, and save the remainder in an airtight container and/or freeze some for later.
If you have any left, they'll make grrrreat gifts for canine friends over the holidays!
With Love, Your Voice for Animals,